Greetings to all! I have this problem: when I enter the Area2D node as a character, this node does not respond in any way, as if it does not see the character

Godot Version

Question

1 Like

First of All your character and Area2D must have collision shape. And the area2d emites the signal and you need to connect to that signal.

they both have a collision shape

More information on that may be helpful

Without your code its difficult to tell where the issue is…

I am also having this problem! I was even following the tutorial of one “DevWorm” on YouTube since I could not troubleshoot the issue in my custom files and thought maybe I was having a fundamental misunderstanding of the physics engine

Even after following the tutorial beat for beat up to video 3 of the playlist https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3cGrGHvkwn2NOT1LSwf5d2XZmlc5Bjsn&si=rz54lL0NDMVy0imh I was unable to get ANY collision detection

I checked the collision layers, that nothing was disabled, everything I could find documentation on that might have an affect…

using v4.2.1 btw

Without access to your project, it will be impossible to help you with that! There’s simply too many things that could be wrong. If you upload a (if possible: minimal) example project somewhere, you can link to it here and others might take a look.

I am happy to share a ZIP, but where would I upload it? I’m afraid I’m not used to sharing such files and do not know the resources most recommended

EDIT: this seems to be a crude solution. Here is a link to a zip file with all the assets of the project. its my following along a tutorial in which I come across the issue in question: no collision

https://file.io/jDmheKkpLFiz

func _on_area_2d_pickable_area_body_entered(body):
	if body.has_method("player"): #if thing has the "player" script on it

This function does not check if body has the “player” script, it checks if the script attached to the body contains a function called player! And since your player script doesn’t, the area will ignore it when it is entering.

1 Like

…

I see. Then I am going to have to re-watch the tutorial and try to figure out what disconnect happened during this segment. Is this an error on their part or on mine? (probably mine – i don’t learn well via video) Thank you for the feedback!

EDIT: doubled back. I was not mistaken about tutorial, but I did find a work around by adding a “custom” call variable to look for instead. now getting reactivity in the tutorial project as expected