My bind requires a signal on the button itself?

Godot Version

Question

ok I have two kinds of code that I am working on. The first code involves creating buttons for a search menu that when clicked navigate to a location (all this code works but I get an error. If I am understanding the error it is basically saying that the button requires a signal, but the buttons are working as intended?

func _create_action_list()->void:
	for item in search_menu_list.get_children():
		item.queue_free()
	for names in names_functions:
		var button=search_menu_button.instantiate()
		button.text=names
		button.name=names
		search_menu_list.add_child(button)
		button.pressed.connect(_on_button_pressed.bind(button.name))

func _on_button_pressed(button):
	if system_menu:
		system_menu.call("_on_search_button_pressed",button)
	else:
		print("failed to find button")

This is the error (like to remind that the code works even without the button containing the signal, so I added it just to make the error go away, but I am confused why its acting like this)
E 0:00:02:0221 search_menu.gd:44 @ _create_action_list(): In Object of type ā€˜Buttonā€™: Attempt to connect nonexistent signal ā€˜search_button_pressedā€™ to callable ā€˜Button(search_menu_button.gd)::_on_search_button_pressedā€™.
<C++ Error> Condition ā€œ!signal_is_validā€ is true. Returning: ERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
<C++ Source> core/object/object.cpp:1344 @ connect()
search_menu.gd:44 @ _create_action_list()
search_menu.gd:38 @ _ready()
seed_system_menu_settings.gd:29 @ _on_seed_start_button_pressed()

I did something similar with rebinding keys (it makes the buttons that are editable), but this code didnt flag the need for signals.

func _create_action_list()->void:
	for item in action_list.get_children():
		item.queue_free()
	for action in input_actions: #when I have the "dictionary" set up <- insert in place of "InputMap.get_actions()"
		var button=input_button_scene.instantiate()
		var action_label=button.find_child("Action Label")
		var input_label=button.find_child("Input Label")
		action_label.text=input_actions[action] #when dictionary setup this must match the "dictionary"[action]
		var events=InputMap.action_get_events(action)
		if events.size()>0:
			input_label.text=events[0].as_text().trim_suffix(" (Physical)")
		else:
			input_label.text=""
		action_list.add_child(button)
		button.pressed.connect(_on_input_button_pressed.bind(button,action))

I am curious about the difference~ any help is appreciated. Its already techically resolved? but it bugs me I have to put a signal script onto buttons that never get used. if possible to work around that issue im all ears (might save me trouble in the future).

Nowhere in the code you posted the signal search_button_pressed is being used so the error canā€™t come from it.

The error comes from the script search_menu.gd

1 Like

I found the source! it took me a bit of digging but I had an autoloader that was expecting a signal from the buttons and because I removed the signal it was freaking out. its weird that my search_menu.gd was getting the blame, because when I removed the signal from the auto-loader it stopped giving the error. My head cant comprehend it lol.