NavigationAgent2D always moving toward bottom right

Godot Version

Question

Hello,

I’m working on this game and I don’t know why the NavigationAgent2D always moves toward bottom right. So I did a blank project to test it properly and reproduced it. Here is a video and the code I used

extends CharacterBody2D
func _ready():
	$CollisionShape2D/Sprite2D/NavigationAgent2D.target_position = Vector2(20, 30)
func _physics_process(delta):
	velocity = $CollisionShape2D/Sprite2D/NavigationAgent2D.get_next_path_position().normalized() * 100
	move_and_slide()

Video here on reddit → https://www.reddit.com/r/godot/comments/1alodo5/navigationagent2d_always_moves_toward_bottom_right/

Any idea on how to make the NavigationAgent2D.get_next_path_position() reach its target ?

Thanks for your help !

The get_next_path_position() function returns the next global position of the current navigation path. You can not normalize a position and expect things to work, it is not a direction or velocity vector. So what you want to do is use e.g. direction_to() between your characters global position and the next path position and use that to calculate your new velocity for the CharacterBody2D.

I’m getting the same behavior using direction_to. Here is the code and the output, which looks more accurate.

extends CharacterBody2D

# Called when the node enters the scene tree for the first time.
func _ready():
	$CollisionShape2D/Sprite2D/NavigationAgent2D.target_position = Vector2(20, 30)

# Called every frame. 'delta' is the elapsed time since the previous frame.
func _physics_process(delta):
	print(global_position.direction_to($CollisionShape2D/Sprite2D/NavigationAgent2D.get_next_path_position()))
	velocity = global_position.direction_to($CollisionShape2D/Sprite2D/NavigationAgent2D.get_next_path_position()).normalized() * 100
	move_and_slide()

Capture d’écran 2024-02-08 à 11.25.05

Seems like the issue is because of something else. I don’t understand the character is not moving toward the next_path_position knowing no other function call is made outside of this one

I’ve found out the problem. I wasn’t having a TileMap under. Awkardly, it should have some sort of map with collisions to be able to use NavAgent. It’s working now

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.